Marshall P. Cloyd
Marshall P. Cloyd is the former Chairman of IMI, an oil service company operating worldwide in the marine sector, with activity in forty countries for over thirty-eight years. Prior to IMI, Cloyd was a Senior Vice President of Brown & Root, Inc., in Houston, TX, responsible for strategic planning and new market development for this large, diversified engineering and construction company. His employment with Brown & Root covered twenty years of line-operating positions prior to his two-year strategic planning assignment, including resident foreign experience covering a decade in both London and Singapore. He holds a bachelor of science in civil engineering from Southern Methodist University and a master of science in civil engineering from Stanford University; he then attended the Harvard Business School MBA program. He is married to Robin S. Cloyd, has four children, and presently resides in Houston, Texas.
Cloyd’s first involvement with the Middle East was in 1965, evaluating the Aswan Dam being constructed by Osman Ahmed Osman (later an Egyptian cabinet member) under Professional Engineer Oaf. This was followed by a full range of engineering construction in the Middle East; in 1982, his focus shifted to offshore marine operations, operating between Gibraltar and Singapore.
Cloyd also worked for thirty-five continuous years with the U.S. government.
He has served as an expert witness in U.S. federal courts in the area of marine construction/offshore drilling.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Fellow
- Society of Mining Engineers (AIME)
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
- Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME)
- Chi Epsilon-Civil Engineering Honorary
- Marine Technology Society (MTS)
- Institute of Petroleum, London
- British American Business Council–Houston, Past Director
- The Newcomen Society
- U.S. Naval Institute
- The Navy League of the United States, Past President and Director of the Houston Council
- Naval Order of the United States
- The American Air Museum in Britain (IWM), Honorary Trustee; Former Chairman‒Finance Committee
- Texas Aviation Hall of Fame, Chairman Emeritus
- Robert S. Peabody Museum Advisory Committee, Chairman Emeritus
- Southern Methodist University Law School, Past Exec. Board Member
- The Houston Ballet, Past Trustee
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Advisory Board, Founding Chairman
- Lone Star Flight Museum, Chairman Emeritus
- USS Texas (SSN 775) Commissioning Committee, Chairman
- St Catherine’s College, Oxford, Domus Fellow
- St Antony’s College, Oxford, Middle East Centre Advisory Board
- Texas A&M University Bush School, Middle East Fellow
- Registered Professional Engineer‒TX, NO. 29075/LA, NO. 12378
- 15499 Cloyd (named asteroid) discovered March 19, 1999, by the Lowell Observatory Near-Earth Object Search at the Anderson Mesa Station
- Spirit of Elissa Award‒Galveston Historical Foundation, 2000
- Superior Public Service Award, Department of the U.S. Navy (second highest civilian award), 2004
- Distinguished Service Award‒Phillips Academy, 2004
- Offshore Industry Pioneer Hall of Fame, 2010
- Honorary Alumnus Award‒Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law, 2011
- Legion of Honor‒SPE, 2014
- Admiral of the Navy George Dewey Award‒Naval Order of the United States, 2018
- Cloyd, Marshall P. (1968) “The Monopod.” Civil Engineering: 38(3), 55-57.
- Cloyd, Marshall P. (1979) “Engineering and Constructing Marine Superprojects.” Journal of the Construction Division: 105(1), 65-77.
- Cloyd, Marshall P., Sr. Vice President, Brown & Root Inc. Testimony: Revitalization and the U.S. Economy. U.S. House of Representatives, September 22, 1981, 311-326.
- Featured in J.A. Pratt, T. Priest, and C.J. Castaneda. (1997) Offshore Pioneers: Brown & Root and the History of Offshore Oil and Gas .