The Joint Committee on Public School Finance was created by Lt. Governor David Dewhurst and House Speaker Tom Craddick to address the critical issue of school finance.
The Committee worked with a research team based in the Bush School of Government to study the entire public school enterprise, including appropriate funding levels for high academic performance; adjustments for legitimate student and school district cost differences; the role of the state in providing school facilities; and incentives for improved student performance and cost-effective operation.
The research team also examined different options for public school funding. The reports completed by the research team and submitted to the Committee are provided here.
Papers for Download
- Adjusting for Geographic Variations in Teacher Compensation: Updating the Texas Cost-of-Education Index
- Adjusting for Geographic Variations in Teacher Compensation: Updating the Texas Cost-Of-Education Index Technical Supplement
- An Economic Evaluation of Alternative Sources of Tax Revenue for the State of Texas
- Measuring Educational Adequacy in Public Schools
- Meeting Needs? A Survey of School Facilities in the State of Texas
- School Outcomes and School Costs: A Technical Supplement
- School Outcomes and School Costs: The Cost Function Approach