Public Service Weekend 2022
Celebrating our 11th Year
The Bush School of Government & Public Service
Texas A&M University
The Bush School offers a free, two-day Public Service Weekend for undergraduate students in Texas
interested in learning more about public service careers and graduate education.
October 21-22, 2022
in College Station
supported with travel funds
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, October 12, 2022
The Bush School of Government & Public Service at Texas A&M University established the Public Service Weekend (PSW) in Fall 2011 as a way to promote the growing field of public service to Texas A&M System students. It has since grown to include students (and advisors) across Texas.
We are looking for service-minded individuals who want to learn more about careers that give back to society. Students come from diverse backgrounds and experiences, but they have a common goal—to make a difference.
Over the course of a late afternoon Friday and all day Saturday, approximately thirty attendees will interact with The Bush School community while learning more about the public service world, from how to work within the graduate education space to finding and preparing for careers that matter to them. Additionally, attendees also network with those who share similar interests in service, expanding their outreach. And all of this is at NO COST to attendees, as we pay for travel, lodging, and most meal expenses.
CONTENT | WHO SHOULD APPLY? | REGISTRATION | HAVE QUESTIONS?
PUBLIC SERVICE WEEKEND CONTENT
The Bush School focuses on Texas institutions and those individuals who might like a career in public service, including government agencies (at all levels of federal, local, state), nonprofits, int’l development orgs, private industry, national security agencies, government contracting orgs, think tanks, international NGOs, and more. Attendees will participate in an online format with a robust agenda.
Friday, Oct 21 (3:30 pm-7:45 pm):
- arrive at 2 PM if you desire a tour of the Bush Library & Museum
- introduction to public service sectors by career staff
- faculty-led engaged learning activity
- student-led activity
- dinner and networking
Saturday, Oct 22 (9:30 am-6:00 pm):
- speaker event
- career panel w/ alumni – insights on professional sectors and skills to thrive
- career preparation and career workshop activity
- graduate admissions and funding overview
- student panels – insights on why grad school matters and best practices in applying to schools
- wrap-up and dinner
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Undergraduate students who
- attend Texas institutions
- exhibit leadership skills
- demonstrate an interest in public service
- support diversity or have a socio-economically disadvantaged background
- have a 3.0+ GPA and/or other marks of academic distinction
- work with undergraduate students who tend to gravitate toward service fields (honors programs, Liberal Arts, related student clubs, etc.)
- want to learn more about careers that make an impact
PUBLIC SERVICE WEEKEND REGISTRATION
To apply for this funded opportunity, submit the Registration Form no later than Wednesday, October 12:
- Students: Registration Form and Resume (include your overall GPA)
- Advisors: Registration Form only
TRAVEL COSTS – REIMBURSMENT
The Bush School will cover travel costs associated with getting to/from College Station, as well as lodging for 1-2 nights and on-campus meals. Many times our payment comes in the form of reimbursement several weeks after the event, once we are provided receipts.
- Your car – We reimburse you for mileage
- Car rental – We reimburse you for rental cost and gas
- in some cases we can reserve and pay, but limits exist for those under 25 years old
- Car pool with others from your university – We reimburse driver for mileage
- Flights – For those over a 5-hour drive to College Station, we book a flight with your help
- Submit early for this option; we can only book competitive rates
- We cover hotel room costs with DOUBLE OCCUPANCY. We have contracted with a local hotel and make room assignments for two per room, so you will be paired with another attendee (requests are taken if you know someone). Advisors may receive a single room if space allows.
- Alternatively, you can arrange to stay with local resident or pay for your own lodging (there are some inexpensive Airbnb options in town)
- We cover Friday dinner and Saturday breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No meals are covered during travel to/from the event.
Bush School Admissions Office
Texas A&M University