Online Public Service Weekend 2020
The Bush School of Government & Public Service
Texas A&M University
The Bush School offers a free Public Service Weekend for undergraduate students in Texas
interested in learning more about public service careers and graduate education.
November 6-7, 2020
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, November 4, 2020
Download our PSW 2020 Flyer
The Bush School of Government & Public Service at Texas A&M University established the Public Service Weekend (PSW) in Fall 2011 as a way to promote the growing field of public service to Texas A&M System students. It has since grown to include students (and advisors) across Texas.
We are looking for service-minded individuals who want to learn more about careers that give back to society. Students come from diverse backgrounds and experiences, but they have a common goal—to make a difference.
Over the course of a late afternoon Friday and early Saturday, attendees will interact with Bush School staff, faculty, current students, and alumni while learning more about the public service world, from how to work within the graduate education space to finding and preparing for careers that matter to them.
The Bush School focuses on Texas institutions and those individuals who might like a career in public service, including government agencies (at all levels of federal, local, state), nonprofits, int’l development orgs, private industry, national security agencies, government contracting orgs, think tanks, international NGOs, and more. Attendees will participate in an online format with a robust agenda.
Friday, Nov 6 (2:30 pm -6:40 pm):
- introduction to public service fields by career staff
- career workshop in how to build a strategic resume
- faculty-led career sector/skills overviews, a talk, and an engaged activity
Saturday, Nov 7 (10:00 am-12:40 pm):
- alumni panel – insights on professional sectors, paths to get there, and skills needed
- graduate admissions and funding overview by admissions staff
- current student panel – insights on student life and grad school preparation
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Undergraduate students who
- are attending Texas institutions
- exhibit leadership skills
- demonstrate an interest in public service
- support diversity
- have a 3.0+ GPA and/or other marks of academic distinction
- work with undergraduate students who tend to gravitate toward service fields (honors programs, Liberal Arts, related student clubs, etc.)
- want to learn more about careers that make an impact
To apply for this informative and interactive Zoom program, submit the following by Wednesday, November 4:
Bush School Admissions Office
Texas A&M University