The Women, Peace, and Security (WPS) Symposium provides a timely opportunity to address the challenges and opportunities of the WPS agenda by discussing them in a bi-partisan environment, developing connections between Texas, regional, and national stakeholders. This symposium was held on November 15, 2019, at the Bush School of Government and Public Service, Texas A&M University.
The 5th Annual Texas Women, Peace, and Security Symposium explored the linkages among women, development, and national security. Does empowering women economically improve prospects for peace and security in the nations in which they live? If so, what are the connections? And what are the best ways to effect such empowerment?
- Keynote Speaker: Ambassador Gina Abercrombie-Winstanley (Ret.), Founder of The Leadership Council for Women in National Security
- Additional speakers and panelists:
- Sanam Anderlini, Executive Director of the International Civil Society Action Network
- Catherine Bertini, 2003 World Food Prize Laureate, Former United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Management
- Lyric Thompson, Director of Policy and Advocacy at the International Center for Research on Women
- Elsa Murano, Director of the Norman Borlaug Institute for International Agriculture
- Radhika Prabhu, Executive Director of the U.S.-Pakistan Women’s Council
- Dyan Gibbens, CEO of Trumbull Unmanned
- Laura Schilling, President of Pumpco Services, Inc.
- Claire Harvey, CEO of Gryphon Oil and Gas