COLLEGE STATION, TX – The 87th session of the Texas Legislature is now in session, and seven current second-year MPSA Bush School students are working in the Texas State Capitol during the spring semester of 2021. This is part of a capstone project in the Department of Public Service and Administration at the Bush School and is directed by Bush School Professor Ann Bowman.
Started in 2011, this is the 6th session in which the Bush School Texas Legislative Capstone has sent students to Austin to work in the Legislature. As part of their curriculum, all Bush School students study complex public policy issues during their capstone projects. These high-energy and highly motivated students develop an understanding of real-world problems and address them with their clients.
Throughout the 87th Texas Legislative Capstone project, graduate assistants from the Bush School communication office, Rebekah Chenelle and Samantha Gordon, will visit with current and former Bush School students about their experiences working in the Legislature. These interviews will be posted on the Bush School website, bush.tamu.edu/legislature, and Bush School social media channels on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin during the spring. The series is titled “Bush School in the Texas Legislature.”
UPCOMING SERIES SCHEDULE
- March 2nd: Dr. Ann Bowman, Professor and Hazel Davis and Robert Kennedy Endowed Chair in Government and Public Service
- March 4th: Grace Kelly, Legislative Director for Representative Gary VanDeaver at Texas House of Representatives
- March 9th: Sydney Cerza, Senior Policy Analyst for Senator Charles Schwertner at Texas Senate
- March 11th: Zachary Cochran, Chief of Staff for Representative Diego Bernal at Texas House of Representatives
- March 16th: Jorge Borrego, Legislative Director for Representative J.M. Lozano at Texas House of Representatives
- March 23rd: Matthew McCormick, Policy Fellow for Senator Eddie Lucio Jr. at Texas Senate
- March 25th: Joel Chávez, 2021 SHRC Luna Fellow and Support Policy Analyst for Senator Eddie Lucio Jr. at Texas Senate
- March 30th: Faith Villareal, Legislative Aide for Senator Charles Schwertner at Texas Senate
- April 6th: Court Manske, Policy Analyst for Senator Brandon Creighton at Texas Senate
- April 22nd: Daniel Yguerabide, Legislative Aide for Senator Bob Hall at Texas Senate
- April 29th: Kenya Robinson, Legislative Aide for Representative Toni Rose at Texas House of Representatives
- OVERTIME Edition (May 20th): Jordan Parr, Policy Analyst for the Texas Senate Health and Human Services Committee